* I continue to update this as I try different variations with my groups.
I use a combat sequence that differs slightly from the Labyrinth Lord one:
- Players declare any spellcasting.
- Initiative: 1d6 is rolled by each side; higher is better.
- The winner of initiative acts first. The Labyrinth Lord may check morale for monsters.
- Missile attacks occur.
- Spells are cast.
- Movement occurs.
- Melee combat occurs.
- Losing side performs steps 4 to 7.
- When every side has acted return to step 1.
Not a big difference but having missile attacks occur before spells provides a way for spell casters to have their spells interrupted.
Also, I prefer missile attacks and spells to occur before movement; it creates the opportunity for ranged weapon users to at least get one shot off before the fight comes to them.