Category Archives: House Rule
Both of the groups that I have been running Labyrinth Lord for have had trouble adjusting to the descending AC , and combat lookup table/thac0 system. To be honest after having played d20 for so long I find myself having trouble adapting as well. And so I went and converted Labyrinth Lord to an ascending AC system.
On another note but somewhat related I have decided that I don’t like using a screen while running my game. Switching to ascending AC gets rid of the problem of having to lookup attack values on a table but the issue of having to look up saving throws remains. I came up with a simple formula to approximate saving throws. In writing this post another, just as simple, idea for calculating saving throws came to me and I have added it to the document.
* I continue to update this as I try different variations with my groups.
I use a combat sequence that differs slightly from the Labyrinth Lord one:
- Players declare any spellcasting.
- Initiative: 1d6 is rolled by each side; higher is better.
- The winner of initiative acts first. The Labyrinth Lord may check morale for monsters.
- Missile attacks occur.
- Spells are cast.
- Movement occurs.
- Melee combat occurs.
- Losing side performs steps 4 to 7.
- When every side has acted return to step 1.
Not a big difference but having missile attacks occur before spells provides a way for spell casters to have their spells interrupted.
Also, I prefer missile attacks and spells to occur before movement; it creates the opportunity for ranged weapon users to at least get one shot off before the fight comes to them.